Author Topic: High Speed Voltage & Current Data Logging  (Read 3028 times)

TechJunkie

High Speed Voltage & Current Data Logging
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
I have been playing around with some high speed data logging devices such as Pasco Scientific and Neulog Sensors. The data collection unit software shown in this topic is the Pasco Scientific which has the capability to data log points up to 50,000 a second. The screenshots I have included were sampled at 25,000 per second using a high speed DC voltage logger. Resolution can be set to 7 digits to the right although I think the accuracy suffers a bit at this depth. I am going to do a entire web series on YouTube of the Neulog sensors in the coming months. These will include but not limited to voltage, current, magnetic fields, static fields, light, sound, nS current, high speed temp probes and much more. The great benefit to having these tools are they can be combined together in multiple configurations which allow custom experiments to be setup and data logged all at the same time. There is so much detailed info that I have been collecting over the past several months of testing that it would be way too much to list in this topic. I will update and post the links when available for all who are interested. I'll try and do a follow-up post with a list of all sensors that have been tested to date.
Eric Haney
Systems Programmer, EE, MCSE, DMC
SilverCore Labs

MJLorton

• Administrator
Re: High Speed Voltage & Current Data Logging
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for this post. I'm very interested in this kind of data logging equipment so do post more updates or link to your Youtubes videos once you have them posted.

Cheers,
Martin.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)

TechJunkie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for this post. I'm very interested in this kind of data logging equipment so do post more updates or link to your Youtubes videos once you have them posted.

Cheers,
Martin.

I will. I am very excited about the possibilities of these types of sensors and data logging equipment. I have invested a considerable amount of time and money into this field and can now see the massive potential for this type of data collection. I have been working with Neulog closely on improving some of the sensors and even assisting with some debugging of a couple sensor glitches. What's really cool is the hidden data that exists with high-speed sampling. Sure a scope can do some of this too, but is limited to it's intended purpose. For example, I was using a high speed light sensor and was able to capture the incandescent and fluorescent characteristics in these types of lighting elements in great detail. It's only the tip of the iceberg in what you can setup and do. I will follow-up with more soon.

Eric Haney
SilverCore Labs

TechJunkie

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:15 PM »
Martin,

I just requested 2 new Pasco sensors for evaluation, a new 1,000,000 sample p/sec high speed voltage and current logger and a digital counter (Logic Level) which can log both count, pulse width and pulse period. I'll add these to the review and post some info about them. Also, when you couple these with the software suite, there is an insane amount of math, logic, scientific, statistical and programmable functionality. It is truly amazing! Talk to you soon!
Eric Haney
SilverCore Labs

MJLorton

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Excellent...thanks Eric.
Play, discover, learn and enjoy! (and don't be scared to make mistakes along the way!)